Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Our little patient


I can't believe how well-behaved she is during her subcutaneous fluid treatments, which involve being stuck with a large needle between her shoulder blades and having a baseball-sized pocket of cold fluid pumped into her body over the course of 5-10 minutes.  She hasn't once hidden and tried to avoid the trip to the vet, or attempted to get away during treatment, or done anything other than try to snuggle continuously with me for the rest of the day after the treatment is done.  She squawks a bit when the fluid starts to flow, then just sits there and takes it without any restraint or coercion.  She really is a best-case scenario for the temperament of a cat I'm going to have to treat at home from now on.

Wish me luck with doing this on my own tomorrow morning!  

4 comments:

Luna Park said...

Good luck to the nurse and speedy recovery to the patient!

Anonymous said...

Hope she feels better soon. I had to give a cat sub-Q fluids for a few weeks once and always felt badly about it -- I'm not a natural needle-poker, I guess.

Michael said...

Meowch

Ari Blenkhorn said...

Maybe it's the breed temperament. Yours looks an awful lot like our Captain Nemo, who patiently tolerated sub-q fluids daily for the last several months of his life. We all got to be pretty good at getting it done with minimal drama.