Thursday, July 11, 2013

Building Barry, Day 72: Walls, wonderful walls!

Spent all morning packing up the house, and by the time I got out to the building site, it was already three o'clock.  The guys had been busy in my absence (probably worked faster without me sitting there watching them from a lawn chair).  All the forms were in place for the foundation walls, and the cement pumper truck was just maneuvering into position when we arrived.  Score!


Liza and I hung around in the hot sun - SUN!  Hallelujah! - so we could watch them start to pour the walls.  It was every bit as exciting as it sounds:




And just like that, we have a basement.  By the time Jason got to the site around 5:30, the tops of the walls were already hard enough that he couldn't even scratch his initials into one of them.  Disappointment abounded.

I'll be out of town this weekend and won't be able to post pictures, but I'm hoping that by the time I return on Sunday they've removed the forms, finished the drainage around the foundation, and backfilled in the trenches around the outsides of the walls.  Keep your fingers crossed that the weather holds for us so we can get caught up with the framing and such.  And think good packing-and-moving thoughts for us for next week!

No comments: