Sunday, September 24, 2006

GW, wildlife photographer

I mentioned in my last post that the cottage in Cape May has an outdoor shower - four walls, no roof, hot and cold running water. For those of you who have never had the chance to experience showering in the open air, I've got to tell you - it's got a lot to recommend it. Sure, sometimes you have to pick leaves out of the soap or chase off the resident frog, and the best time to shower is dictated by the absence of mosquitos. But sometimes you look up while you're shampooing and realize that part of the monarch butterfly migration that's been passing through the area has stopped to rest in the tree next to the shower, and you can see 10 of the cute little suckers from where you're standing.




What's the only logical reaction to this? To finish your shower as quickly as possible, run inside, grab your camera, and take pictures, of course!


I told my parents, who thought this was hilarious, that they're lucky I stopped to grab a towel on my way inside. Oh, and at least I don't wear this hat when I'm taking pictures:

I noticed when I reviewed some of the shots on my mother's camera that she's got several photos of me taking pictures ... I'm not sure what the fascination with it is, other than that's mostly what I was doing this week, so it would have been hard to take a shot of me without a camera in my hand. And if I have to stand in funny positions or occasionally get soaked from the knees down, who cares? I got some nice shots ...

Oops, gotta go - Jason tells me my daughter just peed in the potty for the first time, and I missed it. Crap!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the pun.
- MLF

Anonymous said...

how well I remember that unique shower........been there, done that....I remember the upstairs where if you opened the windows right the ocean breeze would sail right through........j

Anonymous said...

It appears that your family is filled with nature photographers. You take pictures of Painted Lady butterflies. Your mother takes pictures of scantily-clad ladies.