Friday, November 02, 2018

I haven't even printed out a paper calendar to start the planning yet

You know, for some reason it never occurred to me that trying to make our family's summer schedule was going to get harder once Liza got to high school.  After all, most of the cool summer camps are for younger kids, and since she's older she can stay home by herself some days if I have commitments I need to keep.  And yet here I am trying to juggle about 15 different activities I need to slot into this summer ... and it's barely even November.  Since dates haven't been announced for some of the activities we might want to do, it's all a bit theoretical at this point.  Here are some of the things we're trying to squeeze in:

  • Art classes at the Cleveland Institute of Art.  Liza took a jewelry class last summer, and she really enjoyed it (and I enjoyed the chance to wander around University Circle while she was in class).
  • Origins.  We've gone every year for a while now, and while Jason still enjoys it, Liza and I are running out of games we want to try.  She and I may skip it this year, even if Jason goes.
  • Two weeks at Camp Fitch.  Liza did two weeks back-to-back last year, and she wants to do it again this year if she can.  I've reserved two weeks we hope will work, but I may have to move them based on other programs she wants to do, and the slots fill up fast.
  • CTY summer program.  This would be Liza's first go at CTY, and she's still on the fence about whether it's worth committing a third of her summer (and which program would be a good fit for her).  But the applications start in December, and it's the most expensive activity with the fewest slots available, so we have to nail this one down soon.
  • French Creek Theater rehearsals and performances. Into the Woods is in June, Tuck Everlasting is in July, and As You Like It comes in August.  Assuming I'm still interested in volunteering with the group, that could keep me pretty busy for the whole dang summer.
  • Jason is still interested in long-distance hiking, although I'm pretty sure doing the Appalachian Trail has been put on hold for a while.  But he still is probably going to want to schedule a couple longer hiking trips while the weather is nice.
  • Visiting family.  Because apparently Liza's grandmother would like to see her more than once a year.  Sheesh! :)
  • Oh, and we would like to do a vacation while the kid's out of school.  No idea where, or when, or for how long.  Probably need to figure that out soon, too, if we want to not have to pay through the nose for airfare.
  • Theater tickets, which we have in June (Dear Evan Hansen), July (Come From Away), and possibly August (Lion King, for which we haven't bought tickets yet).
It's a few things, like I said.  And that's just what I know about now, and the list doesn't include things like birthday parties, getting together with friends, or anything school-related like band camp (not that Liza wants to do marching band) or getting her summer assignments finished.

Yeah, this was totally easier when she was a toddler and we could spend the summer watering flowers and going to the park.

No comments: