Thursday, November 08, 2018

No bake peanut butter coconut fat bomb cookie things

I’ve been eating low carb/kinda keto for months now, but just recently have I gotten serious about tracking my macros, which is keto shorthand for “tracking your fat and protein and net carb intake.” “Macros” are why fat bombs exist, because getting enough fat in your diet without blowing past your carb goal can be tough. I’ve tried a few recipes for fat bombs, and they’re not bad, but so far all have contained artificial sweetener.

When you’re using large amounts of sweetener, you have to be VERY aware that some of them can cause unpleasant side effects. I won’t go into details, but let’s just say that eating too much sugar alcohol (like maltitol, which is used in a lot of sugar-free candy) can be a disaster. It’s not too bad for me, since I’m by myself most of the day, but I don’t let my family eat anything sweetened with the White time bomb, because no one needs those side effects when they’re trapped at school or in a meeting.

Even the erythritol based sweeteners “may cause discomfort,” and it seems like I’m one of the lucky saps who are sensitive to it. So I’m trying to find fat bomb recipes where I don’t need sweetener, but they’re few and far between, especially the ones that aren’t one step away from eating straight coconut oil.

Today, though, it occurred to me that no-bake cookies might be a good jumping off point for a fat bomb, and I was glad to find lots of people had done the recipe testing (and macro calculating) for me. I am pretty happy with how this recipe turned out, even if I did cheat by using regular peanut butter and leaving out the artificial sweetener. It’s got good flavor, it’s got something to chew (the creamy ones kind of squick me out), and there’s nothing in them my family can’t eat. Give them a try if you’ve got any low carb people on your holiday invite list - they’ll be glad to have something they can eat at dessert!

No comments: