Saturday, November 03, 2018

Still Life with Real Life

Part of what I’m doing for the Create30 challenge is trying to post more intentional photos on Instagram, rather than just random shots that happened to turn out cute. Because I live a boring life, two out of the three so far this month have been exercise-related, which believe me does not reflect how I spend the majority of my day.

I’m getting new eyes on my account since I have the Create30 tags on my shots, and I wonder a little what their impression is of me. It’s definitely an eye-opening case of curation bias. I choose what I post, and I think a lot about what image it projects. I’m not posting anything that isn’t true or real, but it certainly isn’t complete.

So, in the interest of keeping things closer to real, here is a still life of my afternoon sitting at PlayCLE killing time while my daughter hangs out with a classmate.

Note that real life includes sock knitting, uncomfortable chairs, Diet Pepsi, a pilled sweatshirt and phone left for me to guard, and a purse bulging with coupons. Not shown: the huge bruise on my knee from banging it on my bed frame this morning while doing my exercises for today, hair that’s still wet and messy from my post-yoga shower, and the “Evit Mom” shirt I’m wearing under my hoodie. I have to keep some mystique, after all.

1 comment:

Aimie Clouse said...

All social media is basically just a small snapshot of the bigger picture. Sometimes it's what we want people to think of us, and other times it's only part of the truth. I love that you are aware of the image you are putting out for the world but also want people to know it is just a small part of who you are.