Monday, February 27, 2006

An uneasy truce develops

When we first brought Liza home from the hospital, the cats couldn't have been less impressed. They were never overtly hostile, but they made certain that they were nowhere near the kid most of the time. Not that I can blame them; with the way she used to scream, I would have run away, too, if I had had the option. As Liza got so she could sit up we began to train the cats to come closer to her. This worked a little too well, however, and there were a few months where the only contact they had was Liza attempting to eat Zach whole while he just sits there thinking "I hope I get a treat I hope I get a treat I hope I get a treat."

We've be working to train Liza that cats are playmates, not chew toys, and it seems to be working. Both of the cats will now voluntarily come up to Liza to be petted, and she usually manages to restrain her urges to rip out their fur by the handful and gleefully eat it. Here are a few shots to show the detente we've reached:

Oh, look! A colander!

I wonder what I should do with it?

Zach needs a hat ...

... maybe not.

Why does Zach put up with it? Simple: Liza has learned to share her pork roast (and pizza and chicken and Cheerios and ... ).

This doesn't deal directly with my photo essay, but it was too cute to pass up. Isn't the perfect caption for this one, "Dude, it's totally his fault!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps it is somewhat impertinent to comment on the pictures rather than the text, but I am intrigued by the apperance of wood floors in the kitchen. For those of us who have vinyl in the kitchen but dream of wood, could you perhaps blog on some point about the merits of wood floors in the kitchen? For example, do you find that the joints in the wood are rapidly filling with food detritus? Or is yours the type of kitchen where spills never touch the floor? Have you found grape juice continueing to ooze from where it slipped through the cracks last fall?

Just curious.
- Cullinary Frippery