Sunday, January 21, 2007

Back from Mom's Weekend Out

When I got the invitation to go to a friend's baby shower up in Cleveland, I immediately saw it as an opportunity to finally spend more than 6 hours away from my daughter. Hooray for baby showers! Hooray for weekends spent away from kids!

Some thoughts from the trip up to Cleveland:
  • Why would anyone be carrying a toilet plunger in their car/truck in such a way that it would end up as roadside debris?
  • Why would anyone be carrying a loaded paint roller in their car/truck in such a way that it could fall out, bounce along the highway, then roll into the median, leaving a trail of paint behind it?

I stayed with our former next door neighbors (hi, gang!), and I had a really good time visiting with them. Astounding how well we did on the Totally 80s version of Trivial Pursuit, especially considering we were not-particularly-news-hawkish teens during the actual 80s. I managed to put in quite a good performance (although not a winning one) by answering either "Roots" or "The Thornbirds" anytime the TV question was about a miniseries, and by dredging up the name of an occasional politician or sports figure from the time. Although really, who can be expected to remember who Spud Webb was? And how does somebody that short have a 42" vertical leap? That's just freakish.

We also discovered that it was possible to guess who had filled in various lists for the game Scattergories, just by hearing what the responses were. Strange thing is, the last time we played Scattergories was probably a year ago (or longer), and with some of the responses I could vividly remember what was going on when we were debating them the first time. It's strange the stuff our brain hangs onto. Between that and the obscure 80s references we managed to dig out of our heads, it was definitely a trivial couple of nights.

The baby shower was very nice, with WAY too much good food, a ton of friends from when I used to work in Cleveland, and a lot of adorable baby outfits bestowed on the mother-to-be. My handmade gifts seemed to go over well, and I even managed to hand out a few of my Lazy Mama business cards to folks who suggested that I try to sell my stuff. How's that for advance planning?

By far the most exciting part of the trip was the last hour before I headed home, during which time the owners of the quilt store I used to frequent in Cleveland agreed to sell some of my patterns in their store, for a price that was pretty much what I hoped to get for them. I've still got to ship them the patterns and remake one of the prototypes (gave the original prototype to the mom-to-be) to use as a display in the store, but in a few weeks my designs should be available for sale in a real store. How cool is that? Very!

Jason managed to handle Liza the whole weekend without once breaking down and calling for help, advice, or to get me to come home early. He even had time tonight to do a little video work. Working title: Feeding her lines, and mac 'n cheese.

I'll admit that I missed Liza and Jason more than I expected to - I was barely even tempted to pretend I had car trouble and stay up in Cleveland for a few extra days. I think it was good to get away for a couple of days, just to sort of reset things and start the rest of the winter off refreshed and ready to tackle the not-quite-two-year-old again. But it was also good to be back and watch her running around in training panties for the first time, reveling in the freedom afforded by cotton instead of scratchy disposables. Of course, I've been home two hours and have already been peed on twice, headbutted once, and screamed at full in the face for about 30 seconds, so I can't say it's perfect around here. But I've also been snuggled and talked at incessantly since I walked in the door, so I guess I'll stay.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have two very easy children. But, it is still kinda nice to be able to get away from them every once in a while.

Now, try getting away with your husband for a weekend! That's a treat!

- MLF