Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Big girl bed

Well, Liza is enthusiastic about snuggling in it, and playing hide-and-seekunder the covers, and jumping on it, and using it to peek out the window, but she's not so interested in sleeping there. Every time I put her down to sleep we read in bed, and I ask her if she wants to sleep in her bed or in her crib. She scrambles to the end of the bed and runs to the crib, hanging onto the bars for dear life, like it's trying to run away from her.

But today we're working on moving her nap later (we're headed for California in a few days, and I don't want the jetlag to be too horrible), so by the time we laid down to read, she was at that glassy-eyed, 1,000-yard-stare, "I'm going to fall asleep standing up" phase, so I decided to give it a try. Tucked her in with all of her animals, sang her bedtime song, told her to stay in bed, and walked out the door.

My computer is right below Liza's room, so it is pretty obvious to me that she's not in bed right now. So far I've heard her moving around on the bed, dragging her wooden activity cube around and playing with the beadrace on top of it, thumping across the floor while banging her heels as hard as she can, rolling hard plastic balls around, and possibly dragging books off her shelf. I'm debating the wisdom of going back in to stick her in bed ... I can't decide if that will reinforce that she needs to stay in bed, or that I'll come back and play with her if she just thumps around long enough.

We aren't quite to the point where we need to push it - she's still not quite 36" tall, and still hasn't tried to get out of her crib - but I really would like to get her into a bed before she falls on her head while trying to escape the crib. Those tent things you can buy for the top of the crib are okay, but they're $70, and I have the feeling that she would spend half of her nap standing on tiptoe trying to touch the tent fabric. Plus, the cat still occasionally jumps in bed with Liza if the door to her room is open, and I can just imagine her trying to do that the first time when the tent is in place. Not very restful for the kiddo when the whole thing comes crashing down on top of her, complete with a frantic clawed cat attached.

So for now I'll keep writing, waiting for the thumping and scraping to die down. She may end up asleep on the hardwood floor with her feet in her potty, but hey, who am I to say what's comfortable for her?

It's been mostly quiet for a couple minutes now, with just an annoyed whine every once in a while. There may be hope yet. Of course, all the things I need to do today involve having to walk past her room, which will set her off if she's not completely asleep, so I'm sort of stuck down here until she finally nods off. At least, that's my excuse for why I'll be playing Zuma for the next few minutes. I'll post an update later today ...
*******************
Update: It's been 45 minutes since I left her room, and it's been totally quiet for a few minutes. I got up the nerve to peek in (mainly to make sure she hadn't eaten half a container of wipes and choked to death), and this is what I saw:

I'm guessing the initial whining I heard was from her being tangled in the sheets when she tried to get out of bed, and at least some of the thumping was the books hitting the floor. Otherwise, no furniture overturned (good, because it's all screwed to the walls), and she's asleep. I'll call that a victory.

Now let's just hope her pull-up doesn't leak, because I can't throw that rug in the wash the way I can sheets.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is no peace like the peace of a sleeping child. Or that the child fell asleep while reading a pile of books.

- MLF