Thursday, January 03, 2013

From the couch, wrapped in an afghan

I've started reading Simple Abundance (again!), and I was struck by today's entry - it listed the six graces of Gratitude, Simplicity, Order, Harmony, Beauty, and Joy. As often as I've read the book, I get something new out of it each time. I think this is the first time I've actually started the book on January 1st - usually I pick it up mid-year and rush through the early parts to get to the entries for whichever calendar month I'm in - and I'm trying to make a practice of actually sitting down and thinking about the entry each day.

Got up early this morning to get the kid to school. We go back a day ahead of the local school district, so it seems like we are the only people on the planet up and moving this morning. Solstice has come and gone, and the days are gradually starting earlier again. Here in the frozen north, that's a good thing - another month or so and we won't have to stand in the dark while waiting for the bus.

No bus today, though - stayed in bed for a few last-minute snuggles before I sent her on her way. So nice to not start the day in a rush - I didn't even have to nag at her to get her out the door on time! It's like some sort of miracle for the new year.

The sun was just rising above the trees and houses in our neighborhood when I got Liza headed for the car - syrupy light just touching the fronts and tops of the snow drifts in our front yard. Our mornings can be a trial, but the chance to see the sun rise, or a rainbow form in the morning mist, or dew or frost on the lawn - it almost makes it worth it. Almost.

Even now, an hour later, the light is picking and choosing what it wants to illuminate. It's much more particular about its job than the all-encompassing light of July. I think I'll take a lesson from that today - I'll just dwell on the things I want to highlight, instead of trying to control everything all at once. Sometimes a little selective attention makes all the difference ...



No comments: