Sunday, May 21, 2006

May 20 - National "Finally Start the Yard Work" Day

Now that the rain has mostly stopped, I've run out of excuses to not work on the list of yard projects I want to accomplish this year. I've been whittling away at some of the smaller ones this week - weeding, putting down a few bags of mulch, putting in some flowers in the front yard - but I waited until yesterday to start the heavy-duty Ivy Eradication Project, Part too-many-to-keep-track-anymore.

Dad, do you remember the far back corner of our yard, the one that you refused to weed last year because "God only knows what's living in that mess?" Here it is after two naps' worth of work on it yesterday:


And you know those skanky yew bushes that covered up the mess of ivy, vinca, and dead tree branches along the back fence of our property? Here it is today, after three naps of work and a couple trips to Lowe's (where we got to stand in line behind EVERY OTHER HOMEOWNER IN TOWN, PLUS A FEW AMBITIOUS RENTERS):

Ugly perennial grassy stuff near the sidewalk? Transplanted to a less noticeable location and replaced with - gasp - actual flowers!

Flowerbed under the maple tree near our patio? Weeded and planted.

Flowerpots on the front stoop? Finished.

Now all we need is about two truckloads of mulch, and we'll be done ... until those ratty-looking azaleas start to piss me off again. You're on my short list, azaleas - you've been warned!

Now, does anyone have a Tylenol? My shoveling leg is killing me ...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gretchen, your time management is fabulous - wonna come to my yard next? K's mom

Gretchen said...

I can't imagine that your yard needs any help ... you always do such a beautiful job with it!

Hey, we're going to be in MD tomorrow and Thursday - maybe I'll give you a call and see if we can meet somewhere to catch up for a bit.

G

Anonymous said...

We have had fun planting all sorts of things in our yard. We never have any sick looking plants. The plants are either dead or they are taking over. Nothing in between.