Sunday, June 18, 2006

craft update

I've been holding out on you. I have a few projects in the works that I could show off, but they're not quite done yet, so you're going to have to hold your horses for a little while longer. Let's just say that when I'm done, Liza is going to have the coolest, freakiest quilt in the world.

In the meantime, though, some non-quilted stuff. I got sick of lugging around my huge diaper bag, and decided to make a replacement, using a pattern I bought at a yard sale and some fabric I bought years ago for a quilt that never quite materialized (heh). Here's the result: A diaper bag and matching makeup bag for my stuff:



It's pretty nifty, if I do say so myself. I particularly like that it's reversible, so when I get goo on one side I can flip it inside out and keep using it for a little while without embarrassing myself. Not bad, considering I only used stuff I had in my stash (including the zipper - thanks, Mom!).

My original intent when I came up with the idea of making a bag was to incorporate a piece of redwork embroidery I had made earlier this spring, but I wasn't happy with the fabric I had on hand to go with it. I ordered a new red-and-white print from an online quilting store, and shazam! One and a half naps later, here's my new pool tote:


Here's a closeup of the redwork design that inspired the tote, now worked into a huge pocket on the outside:

And a shot that shows the wicked cool lining fabric, which can also be the outside because this, too, is reversible:

You know, I need to find more uses for tote bags, because these things go together really fast, and I'm so pleased with how they look now that they're done. Guess what y'all are getting for Christmas this year??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are amazing! K's mom

Anonymous said...

That's beautiful!
...but not as cool as my quilt.