Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Deathtrap

When the previous owners of our house built the patio on the back, they intended to turn it into a screened porch sometime soon, so they never put up any sort of railing to separate it from the 10-foot dropoff into the driveway. I've been reluctant to invite people with small children over to hang out in our yard because the dropoff was such a kid magnet, and all we had to fence it off was a row of potted hibiscus plants. I kept figuring we'd either move before it got to be too much of a problem, or I'd convince Jason to install a screened porch.

Neither have happened, and since Liza is now turbo-powered, I've been trying to figure out how to put up a railing that wouldn't look like it belonged on a mobile home. While my parents were visiting my father and I finally got started on the project, and I finished it up today. After way too many trips to Lowes, $350 spent at the architectural salvage store in Lexington, 12 cans of spraypaint, 7 skinned knuckles and more swear words than I'll admit, here's the result:





And while I had the camera out, I got all artsy with the hibiscus:

Take this, Georgia O'Keefe:



And I finally got around to putting up the sea monster I bought at a craft show way back in the early days of this blog. I decided Liza would probably eat it if I put it in the bathroom, so instead it's stalking her in the back yard:

Yes, I've become one of those people with lawn ornaments. Next time I post, I'll have to put in a picture of the concrete burro/Mexican guy statue I plan to have installed in the front yard : )

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

love love LOVE your screening solution! it's just gorgeous. and may i also say how much i enjoy your writing -- this blog is on my daily check-in list, and a major source of enjoyment! liza is adorable. please don't stop writing....

Anonymous said...

The screen is beautiful. Wow! Elegant too! It protects the people while also protecting the view! Double wow!

Have you decided whether to have climbing vine wandering through the metal? (I'd vote clematis, but I just like purple.)

- Inspired Frippery

Anonymous said...

What an ingenious solution to your problem: safe, beautiful and unusual! A climbing Mandevilla would just be gorgeous on those gates!
K's mom

Anonymous said...

Sorry K's mom, I'd still vote clematis.
- MLF

Anonymous said...

Well, MLF, here's the practical gardener speaking: Clematis is beautiful but only blooms once in spring or fall (depending on the variety). The Mandevilla is a tropical plant, blooms all the time and can be kept inside during the winter and put out in the spring.
Actually, an other climber worth looking at is the Black-eyed Susan.
K's mom

Gretchen said...

Ohhh! I've got enough audience members that they're arguing in my comments section! That means I have officially arrived in the blogpsphere, doesn't it?

K's Mom, I've got the Mandevilla going already. MLF - I've got a clematis going up another wrought iron thingee nearby, so your need for purple will be satisfied if you ever come visit.

Anonymous said...

In Dallas, where I currently live, potted plants are short lived. I have a very hard time keeping enough water in them. Thus, the clematis which can live in the ground is preferred over the Mandevilla which needs a pot so that it can overwinter indoors. My clematis blends very nicely with my climbing roses (which bloom here from March to November).

Gretchen, you officially arrive in blogsphere when you have people arguing in the comments section AND when you chose to completely ignore them.

- MLF