Friday, July 28, 2006

Lazy Mama tip of the week

No matter how often I vacuum and/or mop the floors, our house still has a lingering sort of "a baby lives here" smell, a mixture of spilled milk, cheese goldfish crackers, and an occasional whiff of diaper. Sure, I could go buy some of that Febreze stuff, but that costs money and takes extra time. And burning scented candles is a no-no with the kid and the cats around.

So instead I've started to use good-smelling stuff I already own to perfume the air that comes out of my vacuum cleaner. Today I changed the bags in both vacuums and added about 1 tablespoon of some bath salts Jason bought for me three or four years ago (because baths? Who has time?) to the empty bags. I just vacuumed, and the place smells wonderful! I'm guessing this will work with other things, too, like dryer sheets (fresh or even used ones) or cut-up nubbins of old scented candles. And the best part - it's free, uses stuff I already have, and it takes zero extra effort to make the house smell good.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to go sprinkle some of this stuff in the bottom of the Diaper Genie ...

No comments: