Sunday, July 23, 2006

The strange, strange world of eBay

As you may know, I've been working on selling some of my grandmother's unneeded stuff on eBay, trying to see if we can make any more money for her there than we would at a yard sale. It's strange the stuff that sells (a pair of blue women's gloves) and the stuff that doesn't (a very nice long silver necklace).

For example, in the stuff that I just posted recently, I have more than a dozen people watching the auctions for vintage sequins that my great-aunt bought wayyyy too many of in the 70s and 80s. But the cookbooks I put up from my own stash - not much interest. I got a bid right away on this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&item=280010652908&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1


(a brochure from the Modess sanitary napkin company about the wonders of menstruation)

And more than 450 people have viewed this, but so far there are no bids:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&item=280010411003&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1


(a catalog my grandparents received when they ran their Western Auto store)

Now, maybe it's just me, but while both of these items are cool to look through, I wouldn't pay anyone money for them. Maybe for the "tips for dealing with polio" card we've got for sale, or the "what to do in the case of an atomic attack" brochure ... you know, useful info like that : ) It will be interesting to see what ends up selling out of this batch ... only two days until the first of the sequin auctions expire, so I guess I'll know soon!

In the meantime, if you want to see the full list of what we've got for sale, check out the following link:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZ0susannah

I'll be posting new stuff every day or two, so check back frequently if you want to contribute to my grandmother's savings account!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But, don't you want to save a copy for your daughter?