Sunday, April 01, 2007

Way too much time on my hands

Pattern from http://www.magknits.com/warm04/patterns/sophie.htm
Yarn: kureyon by Noro, colorway 150 or possibly 164, I can't tell online.

This yarn fought me from the moment I brought it home. I bought it with the idea of making a felted box similar to the ones in Mason Dixon knitting, only I don't have the book and only had a vague idea of how to make the box. I started knitting, and when the sucker wasn't even halfway done I had used up 3/4 of the one skein the project was supposed to take. Ithrew it in the closet and worked on other things, then started with the second skein I had bought to try to make the tote bag in One Skein ... and got a good two hours into that before I realized that their definition of "one skein" includes one skein of each color in the sample ... which was going to require five or six skeins for the pattern I had chosen. So I found a smaller handbag pattern online, unwound the second attempt, and finally managed to make something out of my expensive yarn.

I'm very pleased with the result, especially since I took a relatively drab and scratchy wool yarn and felted into a nicely striped, soft and fuzzy handbag. And it only cost me $3 to felt it in the washer here at the hotel! I wish I had brought along some more of the felting wool I have at the house ... until we move, I guess I'm just going to have to restrain my urge to make more handbags. Must ... not ... felt ...

No comments: