Friday, May 09, 2008

Cumin pork roast follow-up

Remember the cumin pork roast I raved about recently? When I made that I used a slightly larger cut of meat than the recipe called for, and we ended up with a freezer full of leftovers. I mean, we ate one of the "enough for two" dinners (and refroze the extra), fed my parents another of the "for two" dinners (and refroze the extra), and still had another "for two" package and some single meals left in the freezer. This was the roast that never ended ... and despite the fact that it tasted good, I was dreading trying to eat up all that pork.

Then yesterday I got the idea to just convert all of it into barbecue, thus using up the pork AND the leftover hamburger buns from last weekend. It was quick, easy, and darn tasty.

Basically, I thawed the frozen blocks of pork in gravy in the microwave for a few minutes to loosen them from the plastic containers and pry the slices apart. I used kitchen shears to cut the slices into bite-sized chunks, and I dumped the pork and the gravy into a skillet. I heated it to a simmer, then added enough ketchup to turn the sauce red enough that it looked like barbecue sauce (there's a specific measurement for you!), a couple glugs of apple cider vinegar, and a few tablespoons of stadium mustard. I think I threw in some salt, too, just for good measure, but the rest of the seasonings were already in the gravy. Tasted, adjusted seasonings, threw it on toasted hamburger buns with a slice of cheddar cheese on top - done.

It was really good - good enough that we both had seconds, and eating the leftovers will be more of an "I get to" rather than "I have to." Score!

No comments: