Friday, July 04, 2008

Happy ...


Given the cold snap we had during early spring, I'm willing to count this as close enough, aren't you?
*****
In case nobody's noticed, I haven't been posting many garden photos this year. That's primarily because it's been so wet so far this summer that I hardly can go back there to check on things ... something about puddles so deep the mud squelches over the sides of your flip-flops just doesn't scream "GARDENING WEATHER" to me.

Apparently it doesn't scream "GARDENING WEATHER" to the plants, either, as this is all I have left from the stuff I planted in the new bed this year: onions, a couple of ratty-looking nasturtiums, and some Thai basil that I just put in two weeks ago.
The carrots, marigolds, Italian basil, green beans, lima beans, and cilantro all drowned. See the green stuff on the top of the soil? That's moss. Apparently raising the bed 6" above the surrounding soil wasn't far enough. Might have to jack this one up higher next year, or pray for a drought.

The original bed, however, has been perking right along this year:
I've got three happy tomatoes, some delighted oregano and basil, several delirious nasturtiums, some mildly amused marigolds, two happy green peppers, and two happy little hotties:


And the eggplants are doing just beautifully, thank you very much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And we can't grow in vegetables in Dallas because we never get enough moisture in the summer. The grass and shrubs are turning the brown of summer and the tree leaves are drooping. I'd better turn on the sprinklers before I get a nasty-gram from the neighborhood association.

Or I might just plant dandelions in the front yard - they seem to grow well and they are pretty wild flowers. Anyone know where I can purchase a couple pounds of dandelion seeds?