Monday, March 20, 2006

Super power you've never heard of

Thanks to a fellow blogger who inspired this post ...

Back in high school I was part of a group of friends who had the somewhat unusual habit of trying to label everyone in the group based on different tv show characters or habits or whatever. So for a while we were on a Love Boat kick, and I got stuck being known as Isaac, the bartender. I'm not sure how that happened - I think all of the other characters were claimed by the time I was in on the joke.

At any rate, the group of us used to be in each other's cars so often that we developed a schtick about how each of us was responsible for the successful completion of a different aspect of driving. I don't remember what all of the various roles were, other than I think Melissa was the Queen of Pull-Through Parking Spaces. What I do remember is that I was in charge of producing the Gretchen Frick Memorial Break In Traffic.

In heavily populated suburban Delaware, the ability to merge into moving traffic was essential, and my friends used to get anxious anytime they had to pull onto the interstate. One day I pointed out that I never had a problem with that - every time I would get on I-95, there'd be a gap for me. Soon my friends started asking me to work my mojo, even when they were driving ... and then my mother started asking for help with breaks in traffic. In my heyday I seemed to be able to conjure gaps in traffic of as much as half a mile, which in Delaware is akin to turning water into wine. My powers have diminished, though, and my married name doesn't seem to have the same amount of oomph that my maiden name carried.

So that's my super power - summoning breaks in traffic on command. What's yours?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My super power is that while living in Delaware for thirty years I have managed to avoid driving altogether. With the one exception of the driving lesson on the back roads of Dover: I scared all the Amish horses off the local roads.
mimi

By the way, you have been doing somthing you can talk about at the next gathering/cocktail party: raising the next president of the United States. Elizabeth has more going for her than W, even if she can't sit up!

Anonymous said...

My kids are clearly super heroes. My six-year-old is known as "Captain Chaos". My three-year-old is the sidekick known as "Entropy." Together thay are Captain Chaos and Entropy! (Gee, wouldn't that be the title of a great science show?)

Captain Chaos creates chaos everywhere. Just walking next to a pile causes them to spill. With the super hero powers, the pile doesn't have to be touched for it to spill.

Entropy causes things to spill out of glasses and always causes things to drop when eating.