Monday, February 18, 2008

What's up with that?

I think Cleveland is competing in some sort of international Weird Weather marathon or something. How else would you explain the last 24 hours ...


  • Yesterday when we went downtown to a matinee of Wicked** we had to brave 40 mph winds. By the time we left to pick up Liza, it was 50 degrees. In February. In Cleveland.

  • Last night there was a thunderstorm, with rain so hard it drowned out the white noise machine in our bedroom and so much thunder and lightning that Liza was in bed chanting to herself, "I am not afraid of thunder. I am not afraid of thunder. I am not afraid of thunder."

  • This morning it was snowing those big, fat, fluffy snowflakes that have so little weight and so much surface area that it takes each one an hour and a half to hit the ground, after many repeated attempts and side trips to snow UP.

  • This afternoon it was snowing furiously in the bright sunshine.

  • Right now it's blizzarding outside, only it's so warm that the snow melts immediately whenever it touches anything. I'm looking forward to scraping this mess off the windshield tomorrow morning.

** See how casually I worked that in there, exactly as if I haven't been dying with anticipation for the last two weeks, since Jason pulled the old "Don't plan anything for next Sunday afternoon" trick. Getting the tickets was a tremendously thoughtful thing to do, and not just because I've seen the charge on our credit card bill, and boy, was it tremendous. No, he actually came up with this on his own, with no hinting around from me, and he even had to use his super-secret corporate contacts in order to find tickets when he learned the shows happening when he was in town were already sold out. The show was a lot of fun, and not just because it was my first chance to break out the high heels in a loooooong time. If you've got a chance to go, take it - it was a beautiful production. Not that you can tell from my blurry cell phone picture of the curtain before the show ...

3 comments:

Star said...

We've been having some weird weather too... +7 celsuis, down to -13, back up to +4.... I just want spring to arrive already!!

Anonymous said...

Last week, the ice cream truck came through the neighborhood. We were in short sleeves frolicing in the yard. We got ice cream - in February.

Sigh.

Gretchen said...

MLF - so, you wanna send directions to your house from the airport? Because Liza and I have nothing better to do this week than come frolic in your yard and eat ice cream. And beat you for being smug, of course.