Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Work Day 22/Calendar Day 30 - la la la-la la la*

* Sung to the tune of the Smurf theme song##

Things got off to a rousing good start this morning when the counter guys showed up while I was still in my jammies and had bed head. I'm feeling pretty good that this has only happened once in the past month, which is like a minor miracle considering my world-renowned skills as a Non-Morning Person.

Then one guy lost his grip on the main counter piece on the way down our front walk, chipping off a piece the size of the last bone in your thumb. I was holding the door open for them when it happened and I didn't even flinch or say anything, which I later found out really impressed the counter guys. "Wow, you didn't freak out when it chipped! Usually if the homeowner sees something like that happen, they go ballistic on us." Um, actually I prefer to seethe under the surface and reserve judgement until the repair has been made. If the repair had looked bad, that sucker was going right back onto the truck and I'd have been handing them their balls in a grocery sack on their way out the door.

Luckily the piece chipped off of the bottom edge of the corner that sits in the inside corner of the room, and it repaired easily so you literally can't even see it was damaged. Ah, the wonders of modern science ... if that had been a fancy-schmancy granite countertop, we'd be stuck without countertops (or plumbing, tile, or electrical) for weeks until a replacement could be made.

Anyhoo, the rest of the installation went seamlessly (har har), and by 9:30 we had counters in the kitchen. Liza was able to enjoy her first meal at her specially-designed snack and craft location, which we've been hyping every time she gets titchy about people stealing our kitchen.

That chair is a family heirloom of sorts - for as long as I can remember, it sat in my maternal grandmother's kitchen, collecting newspapers to be burned in their outdoor fireplace and waiting for grandchildren to sit on it while chatting in the kitchen. My mother can remember sitting on it as a kid to shell peas. Out of all the furniture and stuff at my grandparent's house, this is probably the only thing I really, really wanted to inherit. So any of my cousins who are reading this and were hoping to get it for themselves, take it up with Pat or Gary - my mom swiped it, fair and square.


Notice that the counters have been in for less than 6 hours, and already they're accumulating junk?
This is my favorite detail of the sink, the way it sort of swoops along the back. Technically the back corners can be punched out to install sprayers or soap dispensers, but I'm leaving them whole because I love those little plateaus so much.

Tomorrow is a day of rest here, as the tile guy had to push us back on his schedule until Thursday. So unless I can think of anything interesting to say, I may take a little kitchen blogging break for 24 hours. See you Thursday!

## Can't remember how the theme song goes? Here's a video - shot in a juvenile correctional institution, apparently, to help jog your memory. It will be stuck in your head for days now ... bwahahahahaha! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQw1FwnF8sk

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Looks great - now, is the wall next to Liza's special place smearproof? Oh, I forgot, your daughter is perfect! K's mom

Star said...

Wow, it is really looking good!!

virtuallori said...

Both of my grandmothers had that chair/stool, and I wish I knew what happened to them. I would love one.

I veto the integrated soap dispenser. The new house has one, and it is a *massive* PITA. No way of telling when it's nearly empty, no easy way to refill it, nearly impossible to get some pans close enough to it to actually get soap into the pan... Meh.