Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Career development

Just in case her pole-dancing career doesn't pan out, I've decided she needs a backup plan ... like drywall repair. Lord knows she's seen enough of it in her lifetime - time to get her involved in the process.
Pink sleeveless knit dresses - the Dickies of the '00s


Of course I let her really do it - how else is she going to learn enough to support me in my old age? She actually did a pretty good job at getting the stuff to stick to the patch, with me finishing the coat by smoothing everything out. Only a couple more coats to go before we can put up the new toilet paper holder!


Gotta teach the kid the most important part of the job - cleanup!

Score so far:

Homeowners: 1

Ugly ceramic toilet paper holder that was glued over a huge hole in the wall with caulk and speckled with old colors of paint: 0

(And can I just say that ripping that ugly abomination down off the wall with brute force was one of the most enjoyable things I've done in a long time? Because it was fun. Lots of fun.)

**** Edited to add:

Note to self: When working with joint compound and a toddler who loves "working" with putty knives, make sure to erect a barrier between her and the patch while the mud dries. Grrrrrr. Guess that's at least one or two extra coats we get to do now ...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am extremely disappointed in your tool choice for this project. Why not give free advertisement to the product that is helping feed your family?

Purdy has introduced a fine line of prep tools that can do this job and many more! They are available at fine Sherwin-Williams stores anywhere.

Gretchen said...

I used the Purdy tool for spackling, and it did indeed do a fine job. I particularly liked the metal thingee on the end of the handle, which allowed me to hammer on the paint can lid without having to fetch another tool from the basement.

But the nice ones are too heavy for me to want to let the kid to use them - if she throws one, it's going to put out somebody's eye. The cheapo plastic ones are a lot less dangerous in the hands of a two-year-old.

Anonymous said...

I look forward to the photographs of the two of you painting the wall.

With a fine Sherwin-Williams paint, of course.