Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Sometimes there's a reason a photo wasn't included with the recipe

Exhibit A: Garides Saganaki

The recipe translates this from the Greek as "shrimp with feta," but I think the actual translation is "it looks like something a co-ed threw up after a night of drinking, but it tastes good anyway."

This was one of those recipes that I didn't actually READ before buying all the ingredients - I sort of skimmed it to make sure all the ingredients were things we like, and I got an idea of the amount of time it was going to take to cook, and I was off. About 5 minutes into the cooking I started questioning whether I had read everything right - it just didn't look like any other dish I had made before. But despite reading and rereading the recipe, nothing changed, and the weird way was indeed what I was supposed to be doing.

The shrimp cook for almost an hour in this recipe, but they don't start to look like vomit until the last 20 minutes, after the feta goes in. And despite the long cooking time, the shrimp ended up being tender and moist - maybe the feta and tomatoes help preserve them? At any rate, if you turn the lights down, keep your mind open, and give it a try, you'll be happily surprised.

Luckily, not all versions of this recipe look like mine. You can find a more appetizing photo of a different version here. And that one doesn't cook for an hour, either. Maybe next time we'll try that one ... at least then we'd be able to turn the lights on when we eat!

****
The recipe I used was from Saveur from many years ago, but I can't find the same version online anywhere. I'll be happy to send it to you if you ask, but there are a plethora of other versions available that frankly look more appealing. They're easy to find if you just search for "Garides Saganaki."

No comments: