Sunday, August 31, 2008

Attack of the giant bugs

Katydid in our garage this morning. We saw a tiny one in the garden this spring, but this is the first time I've seen a full-size one. The photo is pretty much life-sized ... my boy is biiiiiig. Don't believe me? Check out the 2x3 in the bottom picture for scale.
While checking to make sure this was actually a katydid, I found some neat YouTube videos on them. Particularly this one, which helped me identify the Official Sound of Trying To Sleep In The Summer At My Grandmother's House In Indiana.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These are eating size!

My South African friend tells me about cooking (and eating) grasshopers while on his family farm in the interior of South Africa. He says to cook them in a fry pan over high heat until they are a little brown on the outside. They are crunchy.