Thursday, November 20, 2008

Trying something new

I learned how to make these fabric bowls years ago, then promptly set that idea aside in favor of other crafts. I was looking through my stash recently, though, and I found a couple packs of hand-dyed fabrics that I thought would lend themselves to bowlage (bowling?). I think I was right:



I love these fabrics, which I purchased something like eight years ago when I was first getting into quilting. They were made by a small company in Alaska which appears to have gone out of business (or at least dropped off the Internets) since then, which is a shame. Because eventually I'm going to run out of fabric, probably before I run out of bowl ideas.

They're available in my etsy shop, of course, and would make - ahem - excellent holiday gifts. I'll have some in a purply-navy colorway coming in the weeks ahead, too, and possibly some other shapes, so let me know if there's something specific you're looking for.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are the bowls strong enough to hold things in them?

Gretchen said...

Yes, the bowls are actually quite strong. I wouldn't use them to hold a bowling ball, but for misc. stuff they're great. I've used previous ones for kid toys (great when Liza was teething, as they could be washed and were soft enough to take the edge off) and to store stuff like spools of thread, paper clips, rubber bands, etc.

I wouldn't use these to store food items because I'm not sure how clean the dye is and how colorfast it is, so it would be hard to wash.