Thursday, July 12, 2007

starfish



Welcome to the wonderful world of our cucumber plants - tons of flowers, but only three have turned into cucumbers. Guess I need to import some bees or flies or whatever it is that pollinates cucumbers. Either that, or break out the paintbrush and cotton swabs.


Of course, now that I actually have done some research, it looks like I should have been pruning the heck out of my vines, and fertilizing them, too. Oh, well. They look nice, and the deer haven't hit them yet, so I guess that's something.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The plants have been growing like crazy and you think that you should add more fertilizer to them?!
- MLF

Gretchen said...

Ah, I see you didn't visit the link, or you would have seen their advice:

Feed the plants with a high nitrogen liquid fertiliser when the fruits begin to form and continue doing this at two week intervals.

That making babies, it takes a lot out of you. Just ask D!

Anonymous said...

Okay, I will try feeding my pregnant wife more nitrogen.
- MLF