Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Can't you just imagine the conversation that led to this?

"So, boss, I've got the next big thing, really. It's a new version of 'Peter and the Wolf.' Yes, I know there are about 14 million of them out there already. Yes, I know that Patrick Stewart has already released a version. This one's a winner - we're going to have Dame Edna Everage narrate it!"

Yeah. Australian cross-dresser narrates Peter and the Wolf in a screeching falsetto. Sounds like a winner to me.

And yet ... it's strangely compelling. I crack up every time we learn that the grandfather is played by "the basooooooooooewwwwwwwwn," and Liza isn't as scared of this version as she was of the two minutes of the Jean-Luc version we managed to hear before she started screaming "Scary! Scary!" and foaming at the mouth. I'm not sure we'll be bootlegging a copy, and I know we won't be paying $9 for it new, but if we ever get the kid an MP3 player, I might download it for her. Just so I can hear about the "oooooooouuuuuu-bowwwwwwww" some more, don't you know.

PS - since I mentioned Jean-Luc, I have to add this ... URANUS! Sorry, only Jason will get that, but it makes me giggle.

No comments: