Monday, May 04, 2009

My favorite gift

So, when your kid is mildly obsessed with triops, what do you get her for her birthday?

A grow-your-own triops kit, of course!  And, since my own desire for Sea Monkeys was thwarted when I was a child, I was even more excited about this present than Liza was.

We started it yesterday morning, and already we have half a dozen little prehistoric three-eyed horrors swimming around in our kitchen.  Right now they're at that size that is just barely, barely perceptible as not-just-a-piece-of-dust, and you can see the suggestion of a little tail action going on in their swimming.  But, unlike Sea Monkeys, triops can get to be 2" long if you raise them properly, so the dustmite-sized phase shouldn't last for long.

Photos will be coming once there's something large enough to focus on - I'm sure you can hardly wait!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay - it's official. You are "THE Coolest Mom - EVER". Every parent I knew couldn't wait for those "things" to die so they could be flushed. You (on the other hand) are breaking it out first thing on a Sunday morning (probably before breakfast) so that they CAN be discussed over whole wheat waffles and I'm sure a growth chart was involved somewhere! You totally rock! What next - mudpies for lunch?

Mrshappy7105