Sunday, August 26, 2007

Kitchen design, v. 2.0

After our discussion with Mary from Design Tech, here's our current favorite design. Lacks any seating in the kitchen, but it's wide open, and not only can I fit my fancy pantry AND a pot-and-pan drawer AND a built-in trashcan, I can keep my dishes and Tupperware in nifty drawers in the "base cooking center" right next to my dishwasher. Oh, how I want the base cooking center. And the pantry. And a trashcan I won't trip over four times a day.



In other news, I finished the curtains to cover up the storage cubbies above the closets in our bedroom, and I got all the hardware on the closet doors. Here's the before and after:
I'm especially proud of the little decorations on each of the closet doors. When we pulled off the dummy doorknobs the previous owners had installed, it turned out to be practically impossible to patch the holes invisibly. Since I wanted to install smaller knobs to match the hardware on the drawers, I had to come up with some way to cover up the holes. Solution: a couple of those carved wooden decorations they sell at Home Depot, a can of leftover hammertone spraypaint Jason snatched from work, and a couple of really long screws to attach the knobs through 2 1/2" of door and decoration. Voila! They sort of look like they belong!

Next up: finishing the Cabinet of Mature Content. Again. Can anyone say, "forget the veneer, I'm sanding the filler smooth and painting that sucker"? I know I can.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is there a wall missing from the kitchen plan? In the previous plan, there was a wall on the right side.

Looking at the design compared to my kitchen, I worry that you are still a little short on counter space and on cabinet space. With the goal of more space for more stuff, have you considered:
1) Adding an island: With 12feet between dishwasher and stove, there is place for an island. (Assuming that you've use the same scale.)
2) Adding a bar: Have a counter come from the top of the kitchen down from the spot labeld "base open and shelf." This would give more counter space, more cabinet space, and kid sitting space.
3) Space by stove: I like more counter space by the stove for staging space during cooking. For example, when making the Frick Fried Chicken, I like having all of my parts on the counter next to the stove. For example, consider swapping the stove and the fridge?

Good luck!
- MLF