Sunday, November 04, 2007

Dear Goodwill of North Olmsted:

To Whom It May Concern:

Two weeks ago I stopped off at your donation center with a trunk full of stuff - costume jewelry that didn't sell at the yard sale, some baby clothes that my daughter had outgrown, and an artificial Christmas tree we no longer need.

I hate going to this location because the people checking in the donations have been unfailingly snotty and rude each time I've come by. I've never seen people more surly about other people's charity in my life. It's not like I expect people to grovel and bow - but I don't expect outright hostility, either.

The checkers at every other Goodwill location I've used are polite and seem at least somewhat greatful for the donations. I could understand the bad attitude if we were dropping off junk like broken toys and stained furniture, but the stuff we bring is good quality and is only being donated because it doesn't fit in our new house.

But we were in a hurry that day and your location was on the way, so we went back one more time. Things were initially going fairly well, with the checker's behavior more "brusque" than "downright rude," until we got to the Christmas tree.

"What's in the box?"
"A Christmas tree. All the pieces are there - we just wanted a newer one with lights on it."
"We don't take Christmas items until November. Look around - we have no room to store that stuff. That whole trailer is stuff that won't even fit in the store. You'll have to bring it back."

Now, the checker waited to say that last line until I had already horsed the 40-pound box - which was clearly marked in several obvious locations with the words "Christmas tree" - out of the back of the van, where it didn't even fit but had to ride hanging out the back with the gate bungeed shut. I can understand that locations have to set a limit on accepting holiday items, but I was slightly annoyed that I was going to have to drag the thing back in the car, drive back home, unload it, wait for a week, load it up again, and drive back over there again, all for the privilege of giving it away. Not wanting to have to make the trip for a third time, I sought clarification -

"So when do you start taking Christmas stuff? November 1st?"
"That's in November, isn't it?"

Sarcasm dripping from every word, mind you, as if I had just asked the dumbest question in the history of charity donations. Apparently the checker believed she is doing me such a favor to take these things off of my hands, despite me having an IQ of about 15, that she can't be bothered to answer a question civilly.

If you employ a checker who's rude to me once, I can say they're having a bad day. Twice, and maybe they're just grumpy or have forgotten their customer service training. Three times, and you've got a harpy working at the back dock.

You're going to be short one Christmas tree donation this year, as well as every other donation for as long as we live here. We'll be taking them to the Salvation Army, or the AmVets, or posting them on craigslist as free treelawn pickups - but I will not deal with your rude employees again.

Sincerely,

Calendar-challenged in NE Ohio

No comments: