Sunday, November 11, 2007

Knit vs. crochet

I'm going to venture into craft territory here for one post, just because the subject matter is one that comes up every time I KIP (knit in public). Here are the most common questions I hear from people who don't "do" fiber arts:

1. Is that knit or cro - whatever that other one is?
Quick tip - two sticks=knit, one hook=crochet.

2. How do you do that? I could never do that.
Practice. Lots and lots of practice. And bourbon helps, too.

3. How do you know whether to make something in knit or crochet?
Crochet makes a fabric with more holes, and it's easier to form 3-D curves like spheres out of it. Knit makes a more opaque fabric that is more drapey, and it's great for making stretchy tubes. So, a lot of clothing tends to be knit (because arms, legs, and torsoes are all best clothed in stretchy tubes) while lots of afghans and scarves are crocheted (because it doesn't stretch out of shape as quickly). Oh, and crochet uses a lot more yarn to make the same item, so if you're using really expensive stuff, chances are, you're knitting.

4. My grandmother taught me how to crochet once, but I don't think I'd be any good at trying to figure it out now.
Go online - there are about 400,000 video knitting and crochet tutorials for pretty much every stitch you can imagine. Or, find a local stitch and bitch chapter and throw yourself on their mercy - if you buy the coffee/beer/chocolate, they may teach you enough to get started.

5. How do you find time to do that?
By always having a project nearby. In the past couple of days, I've knitted for two hours while watching a movie, an hour during therapy, and several 15-minute chunks while waiting for my daughter's preschool to let out or waiting in the doctor's office. On particularly productive days I manage to squeeze in another half an hour or so while watching Sesame Street with my daughter, and some more time while waiting for pages to load on the computer. If it's important to you, you find time.

For more information on learning to knit or crochet, I highly recommend the Stitch 'n Bitch series by Debbie Stoller. Her illustrations are great, the directions are clear, and she's REALLY funny. One caveat - make sure you check your gauge before you start her projects, because I've found mine is quite different from hers, particularly on the crochet projects. It's not a big deal - you can adjust for it - but it's disappointing to finish your first sweater and realize it's going to fit your 6-year-old neice, not your husband.

And if you have even a passing acquaintance with knitting, you really need to read the book by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, Yarn Harlot. I borrowed it from the library, and now I need to buy a copy, it was THAT funny. Now, go buy it, then read her blog.

No comments: