Friday, November 30, 2007

Zucchini in my taco

I have decided (again) that my diet is missing several essential things, such as, well, anything other than cheese, whole-wheat bread, and diet soda. Previous attempts to remedy the situation have obviously not worked, so I'm resorting to sneaking veggies into unsuspecting main dishes. It's not exactly like I'm trying to fool myself, since I'm the one fixing dinner, more that I'm less likely to avoid the stuff if it's mixed in with other foods I like.

So earlier this week I added a small zucchini (shredded) to the ground beef when I fixed tacos for dinner, and it wasn't noticeably different from zuke-less versions. When I used the leftover taco stuff to make a salad the next day, I threw a handful of baby spinach leaves on the plate before adding the regular lettuce. When some friends came over for a playdate, I made frozen pizza for lunch, but we also had veggies and dip and grapes. I made chicken enchiladas last night, and not only did I sneak another zucchini in there with the filling, but there were also so many diced tomatoes and avocados sprinkled on top that you could barely see the actual enchiladas, and the salad we had as a first course was about the size of Liza's head.

Tonight I'm going to wimp out and do a "Chinese" meal made out of canned stuff in my pantry, but it's going to have a side helping of Asian green beans to go with it, and I may bust out the last of the brown rice to use as a base.

And then we'll be out of fresh veggies, and it will be time to start eating for shit again. But at least I've gotten a FEW vitamins in there.

No comments: