Thursday, January 22, 2009

20/365

1. According to the lab results, Zach is aggressively healthy, at least physically. He's crazy as a loon when it comes to drinking water obsessively from anyplace other than his water dish, but apparently there's no physiological reason for that. It's just the crazies.

2. I finished my yummy cashmere cowl and I love it!

3. It warmed up enough today that the squirrels finally came out again, and the one that visits our back porch came by while I was near the back door. He did a dive off the railing into the 18" of snow on the deck, which completely covered him until he poked his head up and shook all the loose stuff off. Cutest thing ever done by a tree rat.

4. Mindless sewing done on days when mindlessness is necessary and appreciated.

5. Knowing that, no matter how bad the leak in our window/wall/roof/gutter/siding is (two gallons collected in containers on my windowsill last night! Huzzah!), fixing it will not send us into foreclosure or anything. Might postpone that trip to Disney we've been planning, but that's not tragic.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't mean to be too much of a guy, but...
could you explain how one uses a cowl? A cowl a mock turtleneck with holes (albeit with beautiful crotchiting and very soft in cashmere).

Gretchen said...

Not a guy question at all - more of a non-knitter question, as knitters and hookers (as we crochet people are sometimes known) are about the only people who wear them.

Basically, I've discovered that I'm much warmer when my neck is covered, but most of my favorite shirts are not turtlenecks. Wearing a scarf while cooking is just inviting a flaming new hairdo, but a cowl keeps the necessary bits covered up without dragging through the frying bacon grease.

Some people make them long enough to pull up over their head like a hood when they go outside, but I'm impatient, so most of mine are a bit small for that.

The holes are actually not a problem unless it's really windy. The increased loft provided by the holes and the drape of the cowl traps a lot more warm air than a flat piece of fabric would.

I think the next one I make will be closer-fitting, maybe one of the little scarflettes that buttons close to the neck. Just to mix things up a bit, you know.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for asking that question, anonymous - I did not know what a cowl was. However, I can support Gretchen's claim, that she/I am much warmer with something around her/my neck! K's Mom

Anonymous said...

Cool. Thanks for answering. Care to share of picture of yourself in the cowl?