Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Abundance

I've started reading Simple Abundance again. Basically, it's a series of 365 essays on how to live a life that's authentic and true to what really matters to you. I keep the book in my bedside table, and since I first discovered it a long time ago, I tend to pull it out when I'm feeling scattered and dissatisfied with how my life is going. I've found in the past that the author's ideas really help me stay centered and focused on what really matters.

The first principle that the author discusses is gratitude for what we've already got - basically acknowledging that it's easier to be happy with what we have than it is to get everything we think we want. There are a number of low-key exercises she recommends, including a "gratitude journal" where every day you write down at least five things for which you are greatful. I've still got some of my old gratitude journals, and the entries run the gamut from "I got a promotion!" to "I didn't die today - yet."

I haven't been too good about following her exercises this time around, and I haven't started working on my official gratitude journal, although I have been trying to take a minute to think of five things I'm greatful for each day before I go to bed. One of the essays I read last night (catching up for a few days of slacking) suggested that I make a quick list of 100 blessings in my life.

"Yeah, right." I didn't think it would be quick at all, but since I've been slacking so far, I decided to give it a try. I managed to write down 50 things I was greatful for or that I consider to be blessings in my life before I ran out of time and had to go to bed, and that took maybe 15 minutes. I'm sure I could have managed to get the full 100 if I'd had the time and inclination, although the final 25 would have been a bit of a stretch (#79. Air).

The trouble I ran into is that a) I'm inherently pessimistic, and b) I'm a bit superstitious. So not only did a lot of my blessings fall into the category of "bad things that haven't happened yet," but I was sort of reluctant to write down the best stuff because I'm afraid I'll jinx myself. You know, write down that I am really enjoying my daughter at this stage of her life because she's so fun and it's such a great scientific experiment to see how she's developing her personality and her quirks ... and then the following day she turns into a little hellion I'm aching to foist off on my mother-in-law (Hi, Susie! Hope you liked the photos yesterday! Want to come visit for a month?).

I actually didn't write down "I didn't get the stomach bug that felled every other mom I know" because I was afraid to jinx myself ... and then I spent an hour getting way to familiar with the inside of our bedroom trashcan around 12:30am. Part of me thinks, "See? You didn't write it down, and the bad thing still happened, so you didn't jinx yourself." And the other part says "See? I just thought about it and the bad thing happened, so I'm doomed to suffer."

Not sure where I'm going with this. Maybe I'll get around to finishing the list tonight, and post the complete compendium one of these days. I haven't bothered to do any of the "100 things about me" memes here, so I suppose it would be good for filling space when I don't have anything else to talk about. In the meantime, anyone else want to list a few things off the top of your head that you consider blessings in your life?

4 comments:

Deborah Jackson said...

I would tell you how great the boys' (whispering here: potty training) is going but I'm afraid as soon as I mention it all hell will break loose. I haven't said the words (potty training) aloud without knocking on wood! :)

Anonymous said...

I am greatful for having a truly great marriage. We're passionate partners of equal power. We share similar activities, each other's joy, MATLAB computer codes, and a love of garlic. The rest of my grateful memes are grow on this fertile soil. (Am I really comparing my marriage to compost?)

But in answer to your question, here are a couple of things that I would put on my list:
1) my wife, 2) a bubbly infant, 3) this blog, 4) the kids like each other, 5) the kids help each other, 6) a job that pays more than I'm worth, 7) a recently rejected job offer to be a CTO, 8) my wife is happy, 9) my wife teaches me new things, 10) I can share complicated ideas & concepts with wife and kids, 11) I can cook, 12) the kids can cook, 13) kids enjoy reading, 14) kids enjoy learning musical instrument, 15) I bike to work, 16) friends across the country, 17) the local fencing club, 18) the new kickstand on my bike, 19) last night's key lime pie, 20) vacations, 21) roses in my garden, 22) someone else mows the yard, 23) I volunteer with my synagogue, 24) My 7th grade religious school students like me, 25) public radio, 26) lightning, etc.

So, is there much overlap with your list?
- MLF

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about your perceived bias towards pessimism and the occult (Normally, this intersection is called goth, but I have yet to see photos of Liza's goth outfits).

I realized that my bias is towards being an agathist.

An agathist believes that all things tend towards ultimate good, as distinguished from optimism, which holds that all things are now for the best. From agathism.com, "The agathist is like an optimist, but more rational and profound. Like the inane 'happy face' we see everywhere today, the optimist sports an unflappable smile and blithely believes things will work out or that good will triumph over evil. The agathist, on the other hand, accepts evil and misfortune but believes it is the ultimate nature of things to tend toward the good and improve" though, perhaps, not along the best road.

I like the Star Trek moral philosophy. Anything that brings us closer to the ideals expressed in Roddenberry's Star Trek is a good thing. We might have to fight the Klingons along the way, but eventually they'll join the Federation.

Anyway, I write too much, but electrons are cheap.
- MLF

Anonymous said...

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things

Cream colored ponies and crisp apple streudels
Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings
These are a few of my favorite things

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs
These are a few of my favorite things