Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Work Day 13/Calendar Day 17 - The glue hits the floor

8am this morning:

4pm this afternoon:

Sybil, when you and Matt install hardwood in your house, do whatever it takes to convince him to use the nail-down stuff instead of the glue-down version. Coersion, bribery, withholding sex, threats of divorce - whatever it takes.

The contractor, whose nickname should be "I-Don't-Mind-Putting-On-Five-Coats-Of-Joint-Compound-To-Get-This-To-Look-Perfect," has been working steadily since 8am, and this is how far he got. Apparently you get blisters from troweling on the glue, which doesn't smell too bad but sticks to everything in the general vicinity of where it is applied, and once you're sticky, it's all downhill from there.

I have to give the contractor credit - this sort of installation would have me cursing up a blue streak, but I think the only thing I've heard him say is "I hate this stuff." I hope he's saving it all for the car ride home, because nobody can bottle that sort of frustration up forever, and I don't want his head to explode tomorrow afternoon.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to manage to keep the cat and the kid out of the kitchen and dining room (which can't be adequately fenced off) for the next 48 hours. Maybe I can just lock all three of them in the basement until Monday ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had the nail-down prefinished hardwood flooring installed upstairs in all bedrooms plus hallway. Took 1 day plus a little, little dust, little frustration. However, I am certain, more expensive than yours. You only have a small area to deal with though ... it will look very beautiful and finished. Your choice of cabinets and wall color are perfect. Love it! K's Mom

Anonymous said...

I really like the color of the flooring.

Watching with jealousy,
MLF