Friday, January 25, 2008

Work Day 15/Calendar Day 19 - "My Preciousssssss"

One of the contractors brought a surprise with him today - all of the tile and grout we ordered, including the slate for the entryway and the field and accent tiles for the backsplash. Liza was very interested in checking out all the boxes from the safety of the stairway, where she was banished until all the heavy lifting was finished. She is particularly enamored of the slate "rocks," which she kept petting whenever she walked past the pile.

Me? I'm enamored of the accent tiles. They're one of the things that I think are just drop-dead stunning about our sort-of-on-a-budget kitchen, so the dust hadn't even settled on the box before I had absconded with one "to take with me to coordinate the color in case I want to buy curtains for the kitchen window."

Uh-huh, that's what I was doing ... not keeping it in my front pocket and pulling it out frequently to pet it and call it My Preciousssss. Really. It's not like I called my parents and Jason to tell them how beautiful it was. Nope, not at all.

Well, not much. Besides, my parents were half asleep when I called, so that only counts as half a call, right?

Ahem. In other news, wow, does this look great or what?



I just want to go and roll around on it, it looks so awesome. Good thing we're going to be busy this weekend - that could get messy if I tried it before the glue was dry.
After a full day of two guys working on it, all of the worst parts of the kitchen and dining room are finished. Things will slow down a bit next week because they'll have to shift some furniture and pull up the rest of the carpet and prep the floor before they can start the flooring. Given the amount of grumbling about the flooring I overheard today, they'll both be thankful for the break.
Before I give you a two-day rest from kitchen photos, let's revel one more time in the wonder that is my glass tile:

There - now don't you feel refreshed? But you can't have it! It's mine! My Preciousssss!

3 comments:

virtuallori said...

Beautiful! I love glass tile...

Deborah Jackson said...

The kitchen looks FANTASTIC, I'm secretly (or not so, now) jealous of the fresh look you are getting! And it seems (although to you, I'm sure it does not) that it went up so fast! LOVELY! Also a bit envious of your trip to Castaway Bay...have fun and be sure to tell us how many times you have to pick the swimsuit out of your nether regions! Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I like the depth of color in your glass. We put maroon color glass tiles (common, we're hokies!) when we finished out our upstairs bathroom. If you like the glass now, then wait until its on the wall. You won't be disappointed.
- MLF