Friday, January 04, 2008

I didn't think I'd like it, but I do

I'm a HUGE fan of the original Music Man movie, the one with Robert Preston and Shirley Jones. Robert Preston will always be the music man, as far as I am concerned, despite that ill-advised alien movie in the 1980s.

But when I was desperate for child entertainment today and searched for "Marion the Librarian" (yes, I know it's spelled wrong) on YouTube, I found a Matthew Broderick music man clip. Ferris Beuller as the music man? Surely you jest.

But he's good. Not Robert Preston good - he's not oily enough for that - but good, all the same. And the choreography is charming - close to the original, but with some neat little additions that update it nicely. I could do without the dream sequence, but it's really funny when it ends.

So, without further ado, I give you the "not quite as good as the original, but in some ways better" Marian the Librarian clip.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember seeing this when it was first shown on TV. I was mesmerized! OK so Broderick isn't quite as good as the original music man, but compared to other actors today he is pretty damn good at musical comedy. Kristen Chenowith (sp?) is much better than the original librarian, who I think was Shirley Jones.
Congratulations on your Delaware debut in Newark!
mimi