Friday, January 11, 2008

Day 5: I couldn't take it anymore

Today is apparently a day of rest, as the building inspector is out of the office and can't be reached to schedule an inspection, the contractors are at another site, and the kid went down for a nap ridiculously early. So there's really nothing new to show you in the kitchen ... but that doesn't mean I'm at a loss for discussion topics :)

The contractors are supposed to start assembling the cabinets next week, and I figured it would help out if I went through the supply list to sort things out so that all the parts for each cabinet were in seperate piles. I mean, I'm paying them for skilled labor, not for moving things around in my dining room - I can do that.

So last night as I was shutting off the lights and going up to bed, I picked up the supply list and idly started searching for the pieces for the first cabinet. Thanks to the lovely stacking system the movers used when they delivered the cabinets and the inconsistent label location on the boxes, it is physically impossible to ONLY organize one cabinet, as you have to move pieces for a minimum of four other cabinets just to find one piece of the first cabinet. Plus, it's psychologically impossible for me to leave a job like this half-finished, because what if we were missing a piece in the part I didn't finish? Then I wouldn't have the extra 12 hours to worry about it and figure out how to chew out the Ikea customer service person on the phone the next day.

Ahem. Anyway, an hour and a half later, I had all the pieces for the base cabinets sorted out. There, now doesn't that look better?

We didn't need to use the living room this weekend, anyway.

These boxes have been sitting in a pile (well, three piles and a couple boxes and bags) in my dining room since last Wednesday, and I haven't so much as peeked in a box. This has required an act of supreme willpower on my part, as I am the biggest Ikea Furniture Assembly Junkie in the country, possibly the hemisphere. Not only do I know how to wield an allenwrench, I enjoy it. So leaving my cabinets sit there, unopened and unloved, was as difficult as walking past a Cinnabon after a 3-day fast.
Actually, I think running the Cinnabon gauntlet would be easier.

Come on, I made it for more than a week, and I only put together one easy one to "see how they go together in case I ever need to take them apart later on." Yeah, right.

Unfortunately, kitchen cabinet assembly is like Pringles - you can't stop after just one. I'm going to be twitchy every time I walk past that room all weekend. Maybe I can get Jason to lock up the allenwrenches until he leaves for work on Monday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went into our local Ikea store for the first time last weekend. Yes, I have an Ikea store within bicycling distance of my house (it is the one in Frisco, TX). We saw your cabinets in their model kitchen. They looked very nice. We think that you chose wisely.
- MLF

Gretchen said...

An Ikea within bicycling distance? Okay, we're definitely coming to visit you soon. How's your schedule look for next week?

Oh, did you know what "Ikea" means in Swedish? "Oh, crap, it won't fit in the car." My Dad's been waiting for months for me to use his favorite Ikea joke, so there it is.