Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Work Day 17/Calendar Day 23 - I can handle this

We're back to one guy installing the flooring, and he had to wait until lunchtime for the extra glue to arrive, so things are moving slowly on that front.
That's probably a good thing, because every time he finishes more of the floor, I have to be more and more careful not to track any of the miscellaneous glue splatters onto the new flooring:

On the positive side of things, the contractor spent this morning attaching the knobs and pulls to the kitchen cabinets, which means I can start to actually load stuff into the upper cabinets, because they're done. D-O-N-E. Done! Woohoo!

Jason didn't have to leave for the airport until later this morning, so he had a chance to check out the new hardware. He had never even seen it in a catalog or anything, so I think he was relieved that I didn't choose replicas of shrunken heads or anything (shucks, those were backordered - it would have given the place such a nice tropical feeling).



Going back to the whole Simple Abundance thing, one of the ways we're supposed to be finding our authentic self is to make a scrapbook of pictures of things we like, or of things that remind us of how we'd like to be living.

I've been keeping one since we lived in Japan 10 years ago, and I just looked through it to see how close my kitchen comes to the pictures I've pulled out over the years. Variations of those little cup pulls on the drawers show up in nine of my kitchen photos, along with drawers for the pots and pans, drawers for the trash and recycling, racks to hold the cookie trays upright, beadboard doors, white cabinets with colored countertops, and almost exactly the same shade of blue/green/grey that we picked for the walls. I haven't looked at this book in close to a year, and yet I managed to get all of that in my tiny kitchen remodel.

Guess I know what I like and stick with it, huh?

Now I can't wait to go back through the other pages and start ripping out things that no longer appeal to me. Then I get to go buy new magazines to rip up for inspiration - huzzah!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your organizational ability to be able to find something after 10 years (and multiple moves).

The cabinets are beautiful.
- MLF