Sunday, January 20, 2008

Geeling on the Ceiling

So, painting the ceiling did, indeed, suck. But it's done, and it was at least marginally tolerable, thanks in large part to Visible Solutions, the color-change ceiling paint from Sherwin-Williams*. Paint goes on a purply pink, but it dries in 20 minutes or so to plain old white. Not too bad about splatter, either, thanks to a formula that's thicker than pancake batter. Not fun to get into the nooks and crannies of a textured ceiling, but at least it wasn't running down my arm at the same time.

Liza was tremendously disappointed that it didn't stay that color permanently. Jason was disappointed that he has a lasting reminder of his fun with the giant roller today ...

"Not only did I get a blister from rolling so much, it just burst all over the extension pole. Blech."

And we're both excited that we managed to prime and get two coats of paint on the whole kitchen without screwing up any of the new cabinets. That could be because we're awesome, or it could be because none of the cabinets are actually touching the walls with any surfaces that will be visible once the trim and cover panels are attached next week ... you be the judge.

And yes, we did go ahead and slap a coat of paint on everything, including the areas that are going to be tiled for the backsplash, mainly because I was sick of it looking all spotty and half-finished.

I told Jason yesterday that the thing that's going to kill me about this project is that virtually nothing will be complete until the last day or two ... you can't finish the upper cabinets until you hang the trim and paint the walls and put in the hole for the exhaust fan, you can't finish the lower cabinets until you install the flooring, you can't install the sink until the countertop is installed, you can't touch up the paint until the tiling is done and the baseboards are in place, yada yada yada. I like projects where I can check things off on my list as I go along, and then not have to deal with them again during the project. This isn't one of them. Good thing I'm not the one who has to do all this stuff!

*Yep, it comes from the company that employs my husband, but that doesn't mean I'm lying about how it works.

No comments: